Thursday, February 19, 2009

6 is the new 16

Every morning Josh walks Paige to the bus (at the end of our driveway) and gives her a hug and kiss good-bye.


Yesterday, Paige and I had a late start so dad was long gone by the time the bus showed up. The bus has to drive by our house to pick up a kid on the next block and then comes back for Paige. When dad's not home we have a little different routine, when we see the bus go by, she puts on her coat and backpack to head out the door. I am usually running behind so I don't walk her to the bus (at the end of our driveway).


When she came home from school she asked me if I would tell her dad that he didn't need to walk her to the bus (at the end of our driveway) and if he would just let her go out by herself. I told her she had to tell him that herself.


So, this morning she told her dad that she could go out to the bus ALONE. He told her it was OK that he liked walking her out and giving her a hug and kiss. I was in the bathroom getting ready and Paige came in and whispered "I tried to tell him but he still thinks he needs to go out with me". Dad just didn't get the hint that she didn't want him to go out with her....so she and I went back out to the kitchen to break her dad's heart.


She explained the other kids were making fun of her because her dad walked her out and kissed her in front of them. Apparently, even six is too old to still be getting kisses from your dad in front of your friends. She told him he could still kiss her in the house, but not outside.


They definitely grow up way too fast!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well that just broke my heart too!